Listen To This Now!!!!

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Guess who's back, Metro's Back- Rodriguez Memorial

 From the National Affairs Desk-

   Hey all, Metro here, back. Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back. Unlike fake fake, manufactured bad boy tough guy Eminem (Slim Corporate Puss) that I referenced in the title, I'm back. Yesterday's Rodriguez post rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. A...lot. But the crazy thing is that I had even more people sending messages of encouragement agreeing with me. Weird how that works.
   For those who missed it (the original post is currently undergoing "maintenance"), I basically acknowledged that local person Sixto Rodriguez had passed away, but then turned it into a social commentary about hanger on's, clout chasers, shadow families, etc., and tied it to this stand-up guy, an artist, that was being used, his life story turning full circle, 2023 is the new 1975, and now that he has sadly passed, eeeeeevyerybody seems to have been his best friend-o in the world. I can understand how some people would take offense to that because they saw themselves in the post. It's okay, I'll be your mirror. If anyone was truely offended, not fake offended, or "I'm trying too hard to be so 2023" offended, then I sincerely apologize. To the others...fucking grow up. Sixto didn't know you, probably never cared about you because he didn't know you. I'm the biggest narcissist in the world, but I admit it. I own it. But I just roll my eyes when someone dies and people automatically make it about themselves. So, to that crew out there, you'll want to keep reading. I promise you, you will have fun. However, per the blog policy, that was the apology. The original post is also down, but I promise that it will be up and running soon. Unedited.

   Anyway, the fact remains that this site, Le Lavender Blog, is pretty much the go-to when it comes to the local scene. So I feel obligated to report that there is a public memorial for Rodriguez this Saturday, starting at noon at... wait for it... The Majestic. According to the press release that was sent to me, "No other details were provided." A perfect metaphor and tribute to Sixto. Great job!
   Okay, let's clear this up first. If you want to celebrate the man and his music along with interacting with people who feel the same. Go! I am serious, not satirous (new word). Go! Make it a positive experience and celebrate this man's life. He gave his art to you. This is me at my most sincere.

Aaaaaaand now for the heel turn...
   Allow me to ask a few questions because questions sometimes need to be asked and these days questions scare people, especially if they spend too much time on their phones or the internet. It's okay to be scared, so judgement free zone! Oh... the questions: What exactly is this event/public memorial? It is this Saturday and the only detail is that it starts at noon. What starts at noon? Is it on Woodward outside the Majestic? Will the Majestic be open at noon? Will there be a viewing of the Rodriguez documentary? Will Ben Blackwell from Third Man Records (hanger-on, I'll be your mirror) be lathered in baby oil furiously pressing cash grab Rodriguez vinyl's? What are the Vegas Over/Under odds of local yahoo's wandering around with a fucking acoustic guitar playing unrecognizable covers of Rodriguez songs they looked up 3 days ago? Will Rodriguez be laying in state at Sgt. Pepperoni's with overpriced lunch specials?
   Now let's get serious. Up there was satire with a sprinkle of reality. Will the Majestic be serving their $5-6 High Life's? And of course, the catch... where will the money be going? Do they have sponsors yet? You usually have to put a deposit down to retain such a venue, especially all day on a Saturday in summer in the city. I have had many private messages pointing out how quickly this vague public memorial was set up. Just another question. So many questions, yet all anybody wants to whine about is the big bad doctor of journalism that is asking them. Hmmmm. So very 2023.
   Everybody seems to have their own personal story about Rodriguez, and it's so weird that nobody remembered them until after 2013. Weird how that stuff works. I only encountered him once, at a show, and he was kind of a jerk to the staff, but I understood. I'm a little bit of a jerk myself. After going through his life story, I would be a little salty too. So, to get back to the beginning, go and celebrate the man and his music this Saturday starting at noon, but for god sakes leave yourself out of it. It's not about you. You are not special. Well, unless you are making money off this. I just might show up to cover it, in disguise of course. I might even have a tambourine, ladies! But if some local Waterhead wanders by me with an acoustic guitar, there will be no apologies.... not a prediction, but a spoiler. So, one more time, acknowledge me.




From the Iceman Commeth
Dr. Bryan Metro

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought the original post couldn't be topped you go and write this! Bravo!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolute mastercraft in taking down the first post and replacing it with something equal or even more harsh (but not slanderous because you worded it as questions). Just absolute Ted Bundy genius.

Anonymous said...

Repost the original post. Fuck the people who can't handle it.

Anonymous said...

Please please please say you are going to cover the memorial in person. You are on a roll lately, and ya love to see it.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha "local person". You are operating at an optimal level....

Anonymous said...

Loving the late period JCM/Queens of the Stone Age thing. I saw some of the corkfest show. Dug the cover with whatever song you played with it that I don't know what is. Just put back up the "Song For the Dead" post. What are they going to to do? Just smile...

Dr. Bryan Metro said...

Yeah, I go through my phases. Carnavoyeur/Destination Street (the other song) was one of my most favorite performance moments. It was made a lil bit better sitting on the stage, gassed, talking with tambo player Darlene Schaffer, telling her "I'm gassed after 15 minutes," and she replied, "We are getting old." It was a perfect moment.

Anonymous said...

Most outrage is fake and gay.

Dr. Bryan Metro said...

Anon 6:07- We agree!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

will u point out on that dumb facebook sponsored ad to see the det cobras at magic stick this weekend that every1 knows they already milked hamtramck labor day fests budget to be the 'secret' guest and ppl should just go see them there for free?

Dr. Bryan Metro said...

Gahhhh I just saw this Anon 10:07. I actually was working on a post on that scam Cobras show but I had to get out of town on business for a few days. I will still post it, along with my Labor Fest preview. Thanks for reading!

Jukebox