Listen To This Now!!!!

Thursday, July 27, 2023

Make Up Something- Metro's Second Book

 From the National Affairs Desk-

   Hey all, Metro here. The sun is rising and I am very tired. My second book, "Make Up Something," is finally finished. It really has been a labor of love, so now let me bore you with the details.
   I came up with the concept for the second book in winter 2022/23 where I thought it would be kind of cool, not cold, to see if any local writers, musicians, artists, or creepos had any "castaways" laying around, some of their works that may or may not see the light of day. Some people actually responded. After receiving an unexpected 12 submissions (that I read too many times), I sat down and ordered them to create a flow, much like an album or a movie or a five course dinner. After that, I went back and read them again, and then I sat down and wrote a framing/wrap-around story that ties all of them together, a writer's retreat that goes very wrong.




   Each of the submissions were submitted under an alias, but their real names are listed in the post book "credits", but only if they wanted. I took every submission and created a character for them to be included in the main story. There is some truth, some exaggeration, but they are all characters in the main story, and I tried to give every one of them their moment because they took the time to share their works.
   Basically, what I am saying is that you get 14 short stories, poems, essays, etc., along with the main story, the thriller. Some of the submissions were simple one sentence "movie pitches" where the contributor just gave me a premise and then I tuned one sentence into 12 pages. I'll take half the credit for those haha. You will know those chapters when you read them, but the other chapters are just as fulfilling, I promise. It was very fun (and exhausting) compiling, editing, and writing an anthology like this. There is a lot to consume in 145 crisp pages that could be devoured in two sittings.
   "A former model is approached by an old man at the bar with an offer of a million dollars, but only if she killed him."- Alfred Hitchcock Presents, there ya go.
   "A businessman, who is lost, stumbles onto a town, but the town is empty."- Twilight Zone, check!
   "A seemingly comical trip to a Halloween party in Las Vegas turns dark."- Hunter S Thompson and Eyes Wide Shut on Line One.
   "A day in the life...in Spain"- Hemingway, Line Two.
   "A private investigator is in over his head involving a model who is much more dangerous than she seems."-  ???
   These are only a few of the chapters. There are so many more, and all are good and have their place in the narrative, but I don't want to spoil any more. I am very proud of the end result. My first book took me a decade to write, and this one only six months. Granted, I had the help of multiple contributors to flesh out the page count, but everything came together great. I have the upmost respect for everyone who contributed, and I hope that I have created something that gave your words life. This was never meant to be an "art project," oh spare me, but it was meant to be fun, with so many different moods, where you keep guessing until you run out of guesses.

   And for all who don't care for me, I understand, I'm with you, but I'm not making any money off this. I am handling all printing costs through a publisher in Arizona. I will not see your name, address, or any personal information. This is just something that I woke up to in a fever dream as the sun was coming up, and just thought, "Why not?"

Here is the link to buy the book:   Make Up Something by Bryan Metro

Or you could always go back to playing on your phones.

From the Iceman Commeth
Bryan Metro

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't Palahniuk do something about people at a writer's retreat?

I don't know really, I never finished it.

Keep on keeping on.

Dr. Bryan Metro said...

Yes, "Haunted". It is decent. I realized the similarities by the time I got to Chapter 2 in this one, and decided to acknowledge it in the book, and make it a running joke.

Jukebox