Listen To This Now!!!!

Monday, July 3, 2023

CorkTown Fest Prevue Part 3-Sunday

 From the National Affairs Desk-

   Hey all, Metro here. Well, thankfully, June is over with, and summer is in full swing. I am back with my final part of my 2023 CorkTown Summer Music Fest preview. As stated earlier, this festival benefits something called Girls Rock Detroit, a non-profit (verified), that works with female youth and adults in many different ways. They are also cool with the LGBTQ and Trans crowd, which is probably JCM's #1 demographic these days. Admission is $20 for a three day pass, $10 for a single day pass, or you can just show up with a cheap guitar and say you are playing and get in for free, a technique I have used for multiple Blowouts. All proceeds go to the kids, or else we wouldn't be doing this. Have I ever lied to you?
   We will also have the official JCM Merch Table, with all proceeds going to The Marcie Bug Freebie Foundation. You can pick up event exclusive JCM band member Bud Light products designed by my bootlegging Wizard/Wise Man, Kentucky Pete. Imagine trying to shotgun one of these babies and having me or -jr staring you in the face! We'll probably also have signed cd's, and maybe copies of my debut novel, "The Invisible People" as well. For those who can't make it ("I'm out of town, I have to work, I have the kids, etc."), you can purchase the book here:   The Invisible People

   Before we get to the artist previews, I am excited to announce a second JCM summer show, this one at the Corktown Tavern on Saturday, July 15th. This one will be a beautiful disaster, and also a book release soiree for my second book (who saw that coming?) "Make Up Something". Stay tuned for more details and the hype machine roll out soon.




   Sunday at the CorkTown Summer Music Fest has an early start time at Noon, and is all ages. I'll bite my lip on jokes right now...
Okay!
   All of the acts will be at the Brooklyn 2000 event space which is behind Lager House, and they go until 6pm. But fear not my degenerate drinkers, the Lager House (who is only hosting the fest on Friday) is having a "Fest Afterparty" starting at 7pm. The cover is also $10. I wish I had more info but the event page is filled with so many TBA's that I won't even bother posting the link here. I do NOT know if the $20 three day pass wristband gets you in to the afterparty, though I think it absolutely should. I also do not know where the money is going, although one would hope that it is also going to the Girls Rock Detroit org, which it absolutely should. So far, the only acts announced are something called Bargain World (featuring members of Fen Fen, who I don't know either), and Bitch Kraft, who was scheduled to play Friday for the actual Fest, but aren't playing Friday anymore. Weird. Yeahhh, your mileage may vary on this one kiddos, but hey, support local venues and all!
   Anyway, you know the rules. Each act gets one song/video, and I give a sentence or two of a take on it.
Sunday, July 9th-Brooklyn 2000

Robert Navarre- "Live"- Mostly acoustic covers. Harmless, okay, music.

Marq Andrew Speck- I think his actual band is playing Saturday, so no double dipping. Plus, loses points for the slightly pretentious parlay of the three word name and the spelling of "Marq".

Judy Banker- "Buffalo Motel"- Harmless singer songwriter stuff. Good tone. I thought it was good.

Nick James- "Live"- Harmless country rock. I think Robert Navarre, Judy Banker, and Nick James should form a band. It would save me some time.

Stuart Benbow- "What Can I Do?"- To answer his question, I would join Robert, Judy, and Nick's band I suggested just now.

Hard Luck Pete- "Get By"- That was Kentucky Pete's nickname in college. Add Hard Luck Pete to my Sunday supergroup I will need 10% commission on.

LRAD- Has an online, steampunky (maybe), presence, but didn't find much actual content. Do better.

Madigan's Attic- "Streams of Whiskey"- Still more acoustic, but Irishy. Almost as catchy as JCM's "Pools of Lube".

Widetrack- "Tribal"- Father/Son duo, which is pretty cool. And they are pretty damn solid. I recommend.

KOT Flame- "Live"- They are very polite. The opening song from the footage I saw was pretty good, like late period Gun Club. I liked it.

Arbor- They are also listed to be playing Saturday. I couldn't find anything on them for Saturday's preview either. Stop wasting my time Arbor, and change your fucking name.

Happenstance- I guess this is Robert Navarre from up there's actual band. Double dipping And on the same day! JSB is going to be so jealous.

Zosette and the Groove- "Live"- I always get hives when I see the word "Groove" in a band name. They sound exactly like you would think they would.

dane Doperock- I didn't find much. I did find some hip hop guy with the same moniker. He was pretty awful.

The Pink 50's- "GIMM"- Pretty decent, driving hard rock with a sprinkle of punk. Just a taste. Could do worse.

The Microplastics- Couldn't find anything. Sorry, but it's not my fault.

Cadriane- "Dead Rhythm"- Some electro stuff that wasn't that good, and made me feel old. So, pass.

Miss Paula and the Candy Bandits- "Alphabet Song"- I had fun with this song. It was clever, and a pretty decent rocker. Approved Metro Seal.

No Sin in Eden- "Rainy Day"- Mazzy Starr vibes. Harmless and well done. Cool name too.

Poor Player- "Live"- This could be my nickname in so many ways. But they are a solid country jam band. Vocals could use some work, but who am I to say?

Jackie's Dead- "So Low"- I loved the sax and the overall production. They take this seriously. I liked it, really good song.

   Well, that's it for the full preview. At least it ended on a good note. Sunday looks to be a little more low-key which makes sense because I have a feeling this Fest will skew/draw older and everyone will still be recovering from the JCM's set on Friday July 7th at midnight at the Lager House. And there is nothing wrong with that. I will be right there with you. Until the very end. Have I ever lied to you?




From the Iceman Commeth
The Boy Next Door
Dr. Bryan Metro



 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Sunday lineup has a lot of heat to it. It's scary when the most known act on the festival is you fuck-tards.

Jukebox