Out now on Checkers Records Collective, the new LP by JCM, "The Fall of Bryan Metro".

Listen To This Now!!!!

Monday, May 1, 2017

Full Disclosure/Makes Me Sick

Metro here,

In the interest of fairness, I have due diligence to report that the Ben's Encore charity has reacquired its tax exempt status retro to May of 2016.  This narrative took up much of the build to the Hamtramck Music Festival, and I thought it would be fair to provide real facts as to the outcome of this debacle.

Now that the facts are over with, lets get to the opinions....and you know me, I often have the pipebomb.

While I am happy that this shitshow of a charity got their act together, it depresses me, makes me sick, and is like a gut punch.
This would not have happened if I had not pointed it out to these idiots earlier this year.  They had zero idea that they were operating as a tax exempt yet not being approved as tax exempt for a year.  Because of me and this site (and my Facebook badgering) both the Hamtramck Music Fest and the Ben's Encore charity freaked and got their shit together.  I am torn.  Do I want to see local music and charities succeed? Of course.  Do I want to see people donating their time and money to typical Detroit fuck up's who are scamming them?  Of course not.  Does it make me sad that people I consider friends, and even mavericks, turn a blind eye to all this just for a measly show and blindly like everything associated with it?  Of course it does.  I still consider them friends, musicians, and fake-journalists, but I would like a little help sometimes.  Ah yes, help.....


Help:

This is what I (errantly) gave to these scoundrels.  The following are facts, not fake news, alt-news, whatever.  The Ben's Encore charity operated as a non-profit, tax exempt without filing the proper paperwork for three years.  This resulted in their tax exempt status being revoked in May of 2016.  Via some stupid loophole, it takes that amount of time for it to be revoked.  The idiots/geniuses running the "charity" either ignored the proper paperwork or were too stupid to realize they were no longer an official tax exempt charity.  Do you think its a coincidence that they re-filed once I made it public?  And now, months later, they are back in action.  You're welcome.  I did it for two reasons:  One to see these amateurs get their comeuppance, and two, for the people really donating their money to this, and to make sure it goes to a good cause.

A good cause:
Okay Ben's Encore shylocks, here is the last part.  Where is the money going to?  You have a history of saying that X amount went to X, but nobody knows where the money is going.  I could say I gave a $100 tip on a $20 tab on the internet and people would believe it.  This is my last favor to you.  Start saying where the money is going to.  The last "scholarships" were issued years ago, and this is a fact, and there have been a few instruments filtered off to white kids in the suburbs, but other than that, where is all this money going to?

Am I bitter?  Yes.  I'm disappointed that I didn't take you down, but I'm glad you're finally legit.
Yeah, I think I'm bitter.  I went after a scam/inept charity who is a blip on the IRS' radar, but at least I tried to correct things, and to some degree I did.  Now distribute that money to people who deserve it, and LET PEOPLE KNOW WHERE IT GOES.  Or maybe, people just don't care.  Either way, I'm closing this chapter.  Based on my instincts, nobody will care because its business as usual, and I'll have to go back to looking at sympathetic pictures of a goofy fucking smile in March 2018.

I'm moving on....my next favor will be to try to get Gabe Jobberson to stop dyeing his remaining hair blonde.


Pipebomb,
Bryan Metro

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Metro's in a mood again....

Anonymous said...

If they hadn't filed the proper paperwork for three consecutive years, donations would not be retroactive and there would be conditions in regards to their status. There are none.

...it's called bureaucracy, and when state governments interact with the federal government it almost always happens.

So really, you can't take credit for this and say that your actions caused them to get their shit together. This would have happened independently of you. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

"Shylocks?"
Oy vey...

Anonymous said...

"Shylocks?"
Oy vey...

Shinsuke Metro said...

You're damn right I'm taking credit for this. I "statement" from the charity along with the re-filing process starting within a week of me pointing it out on my blog read by THOUSANDS of weekly readers???! That's too much of a coincidence. I'm not saying it would have eventually happened, (hell, maybe even not), but there is no denying that it happened when it did was because of me. And once again to Ben and his Shylock Encore.....you're welcome.

Ben's Metro said...

Now that antagonizing you is done, let me explain. The donations are retroactive to May 2016, when they were cut off. They were cut off because they didn't file for three years prior to May 2016. Unfortunately they kept the status because of the bureaucracy you mentioned. But if you deny that not filing for three fucking years doesn't hint at shadiness or plain ineptitude, you lose all credibility. And yes, I am taking credit for them waking up and filing the proper paperwork, and if you think otherwise go comment on Hip In Detroit's site. Oh wait, this is the only open forum in Detroit. You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

I'm taking credit for pointing out what JCM was a joke band.

-jr sucks.

Bryan Metro said...

I'm taking credit for pointing out you cannot complete a single correctly worded sentence. Trust me, I know...... I know

Bryan Metro said...

JCM may have been a joke band, but the joke was on the local music scene because y'all still reading after ten years....hold on, one second....TEN years and THOUSANDS of weekly readers and I'm still going "strong" style.

Now take the Craig Brown Band. Local hodgepodge mash-up cloying "alt-country" gimmick bankrolled by the increasingly out of touch Third Man Records. Aside from the inevitable Hamtramck Music Fest headlining gig, do you really think they'll still be around in 2 years? That's the real joke.

Anonymous said...

shylock is kinda anti-semitic you think jews did wtc & all that ?

Bryan Metro said...

I'd say that was not my intention, but I don't think it would win me an Oscar. Anywho, What's the Vegas over/under on Craig Brown Band shelf life? 8 months? I'll take the under.

Anonymous said...

Your band was a joke.

Bryan Metro said...

Not really. We're we the best? Probably not (well technically in 2009 we were). But it was quite the sociology experiment to see how far JCM could take it without practicing and pretty much playing the same set for 10 years along with playing every major local festival ever including the very final act on the very last Blowout, retiring the People's Art Festival, playing the first Hamtramck Music Festival, playing the first Awesome Fest. And all under the same band name. Nowadays twerps like Ryan Allen, Craig Brown, Prussia change their bands every year or so just to restart the hype train. I never had to do that, and I still get messages about doing shows even with the band disbanded and retired. Sounds like the joke's on you. Commence fucking off (but thanks for reading)!

Anonymous said...

TL;DR

Bryan Metro said...

That's a lie, obviously (thanks for clicking). Here's me; don't care

Anonymous said...

...but yet you keep replying, so obviously you DO care. About what, I have no idea.

Bryan Metro said...

No I don't

Panharith said...

So really, you can't take credit for this and say that your actions caused them to get their shit together. This would have happened independently of you. Sorry!





ทางบ้าน

Bryan Metro said...

Listen "-jr sucks 2.0", yes this did cause them to get their shit together. For three years....one more time, for THREE YEARS, the charity did not file any paperwork to stay as a non-profit, and their status was revoked finally in 2016. I have always given the benefit of the doubt that they're just plain incompetent, but nothing changed till I started calling them on it. Check with the IRS if you're still doubtful.

Jukebox