Out now on Checkers Records Collective, the new LP by JCM, "The Fall of Bryan Metro".

Listen To This Now!!!!

Thursday, March 2, 2017

The Committe Responds!!!!! To Metro!!!!! Finally!!!!!

"Sometimes, 'I don't care what people think of me' = 'I now have license to act poorly to everyone around me'."

Okay, quite an ominous opening statement and I will get to that in a minute....but first, flash back 9 hours to where a member of the Hamtramck Music Committee reached out with an attempt to explain things.  I was surprised but not stunned. I however, was disappointed that the committee waited until the DAY OF THE KICKOFF to reach out.  After all I have been doing this for weeks, ever since we were removed from the Festival, which really got this whole ball a rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin' whaaa, keep rollin' rollin', rollin rollin'.  (Sorry couldn't resist).  In the e-mail they asked me not to use the content of the message as part of my shenanigans, a request I adhered to.  Hell I respect the dude, and that e-mail from them will remain unposted at their request.

However, a similar request for me not to use my response was not issued to me, and 3 hours ago I see a direct quote from my response e-mail posted on social media from somebody attending the kick off party.  So I guess I was right after all.  Anyways, the quote above is from the social media post, but here's the real entree.  My entire, unedited response to the HMF committee:



Hello XXXX,
I was and wasn't waiting for this e-mail.  I do understand why they picked you to send it, however.  We did have quite the time at the very first Hamtramck Music Festival.  I'd like to think that it was then it was at its most genuine; a real alternative to Blowout, and I was quite excited to be returning this year and even did my part by previewing and roasting the other bands.  Even if I had a bad opinion it still got their name's out and got people searching for their music to judge for themselves.  Anyway, I ramble...

First off, let me say "thank you" for reaching out to me.  I appreciate the effort to clarify some of the quite large spectacle I have made of myself and the Fest.  I appreciate the fact that you played with Ben and are trying to honor his legacy.  On paper, the charity is an amazing idea.

That being said, the people running it, along with members of the committee, are borderline incompetent.  I initially was torn between everything being a scam/slush fund or just incompetent.  Its probably a combination of both.

I am also quite disappointed that the JCM was removed from the Festival by the committee caving in to that band from LA.  Then the whole tax thing came to my attention (3 years??) and I went from there.  Maybe I did create a "public spectacle" but isn't that what I do, for good or bad?  I appreciate that XXXXX booked us this year and am mildly vindicated that it wasn't an unanimous decision to remove us.  The whole Seraphine Collective dragging White Shag (a band I didn't even know) into the mix with the whole sex offender thing to distract from what is really going on was quite contrived also, but that's here nor there.

So here we are, back at square one.  Yes I could have found you, or any member of the board in one hundred different ways as you said (and I did), but shouldn't there be just one way?  My point is that the board/committee/charity, all of them lack transparency.  The charity lists their board but very little of where the money actually goes.  Last scholarship was reported in 2014??  The HamFest committee members should be public knowledge and not require a constant reader to have to search.  The festival/venues should not be requesting 2, then 4, then 6 thousand dollars from the DDA who has members of bands/venues on it to "recoup costs" from previous festivals.  It just seems like a conflict of interest and, really, kinda slimy.

So to make a long story short (too late), I really have no interest in meeting with the committee, not because of flashbacks from the Pesci scene in Goodfellas, but because I am the last person you need to explain it to.  Take ownership, not just you, but the whole committee.  The general public now knows all of this.  Issue a statement (another one) to them, an apology maybe, and use this to correct all of these errors so a charity with good intentions isn't mired by incompetence.  Ben deserves better than that. 

Thanks for the e-mail XXXXXX.  I always did like you.  But after this weekend, I'm retired.

From the Iceman Commeth,
Bryan Metro, who never cared what people said about him, just like my spirit animal HST.
 
 
 
Metro back-  seeing that highlighted quote almost verbatim mere hours after sending the e-mail mildly set me off (although it doesn't take much).  I really hope my sincere message has not been shared among people at the kick off.  But really, In the end, I don't care; hence the full message posted here.  Much like Ben's Encore, I want people to achieve their full potential, and there are plenty of other quotes in the message above you can use to get likes on social media.


Here's a real quote for you: "As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity."-  Hunter S Thompson
 
Buy the t-shirt, get taken for a ride,
Bryan Metro

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahahahahahaa. I remember when people commented "Nobody reads his blog". I guess they really do.

Anonymous said...

Please say you will be there....

Anonymous said...

So a festival by the people, for the people shouldn't be a public spectacle? Oh right...only if its positive. These people are slime.

Jukebox