7. Raiders of the Lost Ark- I was on the fence on including this because it could be classified as Adventure (that's next week). But I just watched this the other day and from start to finish it is non stop. The truck scene at the end?? The entire score? Karen Allen in her prime!! C'mon. Awesome. Watch this again and you'll see. You'll see...
4. Robocop- You knew this one was coming. Once again, infinitely quotable with many memorable scenes. -jr and I have this system where if we're hosting company we do something called "15 Minute Robocop" where we cherry pick through the dvd (Weller getting blown away, "Bitches Leave", and the big finale where the dude from ER actually dissolves in Toxic Waste.) This universally breaks the ice in a room and the evening goes smashing. Robocop Top 5 on this list? I'd buy that for a dollar!
3. Commando- A true classic. This also would make my Top Ten Comedies List. From start to finish a joy ride. I was around the same age as Alyssa Milano when this came out so I totally could relate to her character. Also, Bennett is probably my favorite villian of the 80's (chain mail??!!) next to movies 2 & 1 on this list (and maybe 4 and and 8). The fight scene at the end is EPIC where Bennett is thrown into an electrical grid, electrocued for a few seconds and follows it up with a barrage of punches to Arnold is hilarious. I expected him to take the pipe he was impaled with and use it as a weapon. Top Notch
2. Predator- I remember seeing this when I was 8 and thinking it was the greatest thing ever. Decades later I still feel the same way. This is what the Expendables (2010) will hope to be (along with #'s 10, 9, 6, 5, and 3). There is so much badassery in this movie that I can't do it justice. The effects are fantastic and it's a very original concept taken from a well worn source (The Most Dangerous Game). I'm so giddy right now I want someone to come up to me and say, "Bryan, you're blogging." And of course my reply, "I ain't got time to blog."
*Also, if you haven't, check out Part 2 starring Danny Glover, Bill Paxton, and Busey. Very cool also (plus some brief full frontal kids...)
1. Die Hard- This would actually probably be number 2 or 3 on my list, but any list of Action movies must conclude with Die Hard and I don't want to disrupt this. I remember getting ramped up to see this is the theater by videotaping and watching over and over the E Network's (before it was the E Network) 'making of' for this, namely the rooftop helicopter scene. (I also watched the Making of The Burbs special hosted by Rick Ducommun the same amount of times). The perfect action movie and it's still referenced today (Funny People).
Honorable Mentions: Roadhouse, American Ninja 2, Delta Force, Bloodsport, 48 Hours, Rambo 3, Cobra, and countless others.
Notable Omissions: Aliens (Sci Fi List), Big Trouble in Little China ( Sci Fi/Fantasy)
From the Iceman Commeth,