Listen To This Now!!!!

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Top Music Moments in Movies

Hey wankers, Metro here with my top ten list of the day, Top Ten Music Moments in Movies. I decided to take one of my passions, filmmaking and combine it with something I hate, music. Anywho, my disclaimer still applies: These are MY favorite moments in cinema as of today. They could change tomorrow and I probably am forgetting a bunch of my fav's. (I am hung over from band practice last night ie: getting drunk and making lists with -jr and Wang.) So don't whine how I left out Say Anything because this is my list so you can go ahead and blow me while listening to Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. Although, feel free to include your own in the comments below.

Top Ten Music Moments in Movies
10. Cat People by David Bowie in Inglourious Basterds- I had forgotten about this 80's Bowie number until seeing Quentin Tarantino's latest in the theaters. It took me out of the movie a bit considering it was a 1980's song in a WW2 movie, but it worked and the editing he used during the peaks and valleys of the song was masterful.
9. Search and Destroy by Iggy and the Stooges in The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou- This is another one that came out of nowhere in the movie, but Wes Anderson manages to take a very tense situation and score it to a very punishing song and make the concoction absolutely hilarious: Bill Murray single handedly warding off pirates with a pistol
8. Tie: Lust for Life/Perfect Day in Trainspotting- Though I would have loved to have come of age in the 1980's, I am a child of the 90's, and the Trainspotting soundtrack was the soundtrack to more than one of those years.
7. Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarrus in Silence of the Lambs- I remember seeing this movie for the 1st time when I was about 10 and this scene kinda jarred me to say the least. Buffalo Bill's dance and monologue is cinema gold. The JCM recreated this scene, in fact, this past March when we won Blowout.
6. Tie: Moondance (Van Morrison)/Blue Moon(Sam Cooke) in An American Werewolf in London- This movie is a personal fav. One time I was watching it with an ex and the scene came on where David and the nurse are making out to Moondance and I decided to recreate it with my gal and it was pretty rad but we both became distracted by David's conversation with his decomposing friend Jack and shortly after the opening notes of Sam Cooke's Blue Moon started which lead to the tranformation scene (which she had never seen, the twit) and she starts freaking out so I was all like "Hey hun just put your head in my lap and look away from the screen." WIN!
5. Sister Christian by Night Ranger in Boogie Nights- This song expertly accompanies the drug deal scene between a wigged out Alfred Molina and the trio of Marky Mark, Steve Brule, and the Punisher. Still, one of the most suspenseful scenes I've ever seen. Bonus cameo by our Asian Bass Player Wang tossing firecrackers.
4. Expecting to Fly by Buffalo Springfield in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- Many losers see this as a pro-drug movie (which it is not) and focus on all of the (admittedly funny) depravity that ensues, but my favorite scene is also the most personal, as Johnny Depp channelling Hunter is alone in his hotel room and realizes he has hit the proverbial wall while this haunting song plays. A nice elegy for the 60's.
3. Bernard Herrmann's score in Taxi Driver- Herrmann's final full score frames Scorcese's bleak character study and the alternating of pounding strings and melodramatic horns parallels Travis Bickle's inner tension.
2. In Dreams by Roy Orbison in Blue Velvet- This is from one of my favorite WTF moments in cinema where Dean Stockwell lip syncs to this classic with a flood light. I could go on, but just watch the clip of me doing it at a JCM show instead.
1. 1980's Montage in Goodfellas- Scorcese expertly shows the manic drug fueled segue into the 80's with a montage of songs fetauring harry Nillson, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Muddy Waters, and George Harrison. P T Anderson picked up a camera after watching this I'm guessing.
Honorable Mentions: Hip to be Square (American Psycho) Stuck in the Middle (Resevoir Dogs) Gimmie Shelter (Mean Streets) Singing in the Rain (Clockwork Orange)
Most Overrated: Tiny Dancer in Almost Famous
From the Iceman Commeth,
Bryan Metro

2 comments:

Wang said...

Top notch list. Covered just about everything I would have. Here's a few I thought of after the fact:

1. Natural Born Killers - Opening credits, "Rock n Roll Nigger" First time I heard the song. Shoplifted the soundtrack as soon as I left the theater. Maybe one of the best compilations of music for a film ever.

2. The Game - "White Rabbit"
This is the scene where Michael Douglas walks into his ransacked house and finds neon graffiti all over the wall. A very surreal moment in an okay film.

3. Zodiac - "Hurdy Gurdy Man"
Another Fincher movie, this one much better. A great, unsettling way to open the film.

4. Pulp Fiction - "Misirlou"
Only because it set the tone for the rest of the movie. At that moment, you knew you were going to be watching something unique.

Waiting for top ten jerk-off....I mean nude scenes...list.

Bryan Metro said...

Couldn't agree more on these! The White Rabbit scene is my fav in that movie.

Jukebox

Blog Archive